Official Information Act
People in New Zealand can request information from government departments under the Official Information Act 1982, also known as the OIA.
They can expect the information to be made available unless there is a good reason to withhold it.
Make a request to the EPA for official information
- Email your request to email@example.com
- By letter to Environmental Protection Authority, Private Bag 63002, Wellington, 6140.
- In person at Level 10, Grant Thornton House, 215 Lambton Quay, Wellington.
- By phone on 04 916 2426
Our response time
We will respond to your request no later than 20 working days after we receive it. Sometimes we may require additional time to respond to large requests or those requiring consultation. If so, we will let you know and give you a specific due date.
Making a complaint
If you’re not satisfied with our response, contact us in the first instance. You also have the right to seek a review by the Ombudsman (by phone on 0800 802 602 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org).
OIA responses and requests
We've chosen not to release the name of the person/s who have made OIA requests to maintain their privacy. Where we believe that releasing the name of the organisation they belong to will endanger an individual's privacy, we've chosen not to release that too.
Here are some of our responses to OIA requests we've recently received.
- 1080 and research on human reproduction: responded to on 20 January 2019
- WorkSafe and enforcement: responded on 13 November 2019
- Advertising spending: answered on 25 February 2019
- 1080 and fungus: answered on 16 February 2019
- Reports on NO field trials: answered on 18 January 2019
- 1080 aerial drops in the Queenstown Lakes District: responded to on 12 October 2018
- 1080 safety: responded to on 31 October 2018
- PFAS legal status and environmental impact: responded to on 5 November 2018
- Cost of OMV hearing: responded to on 8 November 2018
- 1080 and fluoridation levels: responded to on 12 November 2018
- Marine consent application by OMV: responded to on 5 July 2018
- Coastal Resources Ltd report on post-disposal seabed changes: responded to on 28 August 2018: letter
- Coastal Resources Ltd report on post-disposal seabed changes: responded to on 28 August 2018: report
- Underwater sound recordings for Coastal Resource Ltd dumping events: responded to 13 September 2018
- Coastal Resource Ltd dumping activities and marine mammal sightings: responded to 24 October 2019
Here are all the OIA requests we received in February 2019.
|1 February 2019||Member of public||Ministerial work program OIA, to be drafted by MFE. EPA to provide the "Minister's Letter of Expectation to the EPA", which is already public.|
|11 February 2019||Member of public||Please provide copies of all reports you have regarding the 2018 aerial application of compound 1080 toxin in the Mapara area of the North Island of New Zealand.|
|15 February 2019||Radio NZ||
|18 February 2019||Greenpeace NZ||OMV has received EPA approval for an 11-well offshore exploration and appraisal programme. Please could you provide copies of:
|21 February 2019||Green Party||All EPA internal communications, including notes, regarding glyphosate for 2015 and 2016.|
|26 February 2019||Greenpeace NZ||Questions in regards to the EPA investigation into PFOS firefighting foams:
|26 February 2019||Member of public||Questions regarding Trans-Tasman Resources application|
|27 February 2019||Member of public||Follow up questions from response provided to a previous enquiry on 26/02|
Here are all OIA requests we received in October and November 2018.
|17 September 2018||Forest and Bird||Questions about the legal status and environmental impact of polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS).|
|5 October 2018||Climate Justice Taranaki||Whether legal advice sought about joint processing of EEZ applications in the September 2018 decision and any reports or correspondence.|
|12 October 2018||Member of public||Any test results over a 50 year period of fluoridation levels in the environment and people to compare with levels measured after the use of 1080.|
|16 October 2018||Member of public||Questions regarding dust from 1080, brodifacoum and other VTAs.|
|16 October 2018||Whangarei District Council||How many times (and in which years) the Environmental Protection Authority has formally advised the Minister for the Environment that it considers that insufficient or unnecessary inspection and enforcement action has been taken by WorkSafe (or its predecessor agencies) under section 99 of the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996 since the inception of that Act?|
|17 October 2018||Member of public||A copy of the following document and all related notes: Lowe M, 1994. 1080 in honey from possum baits Rahotu, Taranaki. Taranaki Healthcare May.|
|17 October 2018||Independent News||Information about expenditure on the recent OMV hearing.|
|19 October 2018||Member of public||The permit holder name, area covered by the permission and permission expiry date for current Aquathol permissions.|
|10 October 2018||Not released||Copy of the file relating to contamination of 230 Marsden Point Road.|
|8 November 2018||Mahony Burrowes Horner||Why a previous OIA requesting copy of the August 2018 PFOS Management Plan prepared by GHD for Nelson Airport was declined.|
|23 October 2018||Sustainability NZ||Information between the EPA, ministers and MfE relating to the reassessment process and any proposed change to the law regarding this.|
|15 November 2018||Member of public||How much of the 50,000m3 limit that CRL has dumped this year?|
|29 November 2018||Not released||Copy of The EPA in 5 to 10 Years PowerPoint – Tuesday 28 August.|
|23 November 2018||Ecolibrium Biologicals||Original part 5 applications documents for three HSNO applications, HSNO approval no HSR001654, HSR007942 and HSR001747.|
|26 November 2018||Greenpeace NZ||Use of PFOS by Shell in Taranaki.|