Proposals to change new organism status
We are now processing and reviewing each of the written submissions on proposals to remove the new organism status of five species already present in New Zealand.
The organisms are:
- Cybocephalus sp. (beetle)
- Harmonia axyridis (ladybird)
- Aridelus rufotestaceus (wasp)
- Komagataeibacter xylinus (bacterium)
- Listeria phage P100 (virus – bacteriophage)
Once the review is completed, a final recommendation will be sent to the Minister for the Environment.
If the Minister approves the organisms, they will no longer be regulated under the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms (HSNO) Act. The proposal would remove impediments to researchers wishing to work with these organisms.
We will update this page when this decision has been made.