On 11 September 2019, the Decision-making Committee granted subject to conditions, a marine discharge consent to OMV GSB Limited.

The consent is for the discharge of trace amounts of harmful substances, as offshore processing drainage, from the deck drains of a Mobile Offshore Unit within Petroleum Exploration Permit (PEP) area PEP50119 within the Great South Basin.

Read the decision report (pdf 1.7MB)

View the public notice (pdf 230KB)

For more information about oil and gas exploration: 

Read about OMV GSB Limited's proposal for offshore oil and gas exploration in the Great South Basin (pdf 140KB)

Read how the law protects our ocean environment during oil and gas exploration and drilling (pdf 176KB)

Appeals to the High Court

Once a decision has been made on a marine consent application, the applicant or a submitter can appeal to the High Court. Appeals must be on questions of law. It is recommended that any party considering an appeal should contact their solicitor, the High Court or visit the Ministry of Justice website ( for details.

Sections 105 to 112 of the Exclusive Economic Zone and Continental Shelf (Environmental Effects) Act 2012 contain the process for making an appeal on this decision by the EPA. Notices of appeal must be filed with the Registrar of the Wellington High Court, with a copy served on the EPA within 15 working days after the date on which the party is notified of the decision. 

The notice of appeal must also be served on the applicant or consent holder, and any submitters, no later than 5 working days after filing the appeal.

Appeals should be filed in hard copy with the Registrar at:

New Zealand High Court
2 Molesworth Street
DX: SX11199
Telephone: (04) 914 3600
Fax: (04) 914 3603

A copy of any appeal must be emailed to the EPA at and served in hard copy on the EPA at:

Environmental Protection Authority
Private Bag 63002
Wellington 6140
Attn: General Counsel