Exporting ozone-depleting substances

Ozone-depleting substances can be exported under certain conditions and you must apply to us for a permit first.

The ozone-depleting substances - CFCs, halons, carbon tetrachloride, methyl chloroform, HBFC, bromochloromethane, methyl bromide and HCFC - can only be exported from New Zealand if:

  • the destination country is a country that is a party to the Montreal Protocol
  • the exporter applies for, and is granted, an export permit by us at the EPA.

You may also need to apply for a permit or authorisation from the country you will be importing to.

To apply for an export permit, download and complete the OLPA Export Application form below, and email it to ozone@epa.govt.nz.

OLPA Export Application Form (docx 363KB)

Allow 40 working days for us to process your application. This timeframe may be longer if we need more information from you.