Ozone-depleting substances

Specific rules exist for the import and export of ozone-depleting substances. Find out which products are ozone depleting, and what permits they require.

The Ozone Layer Protection Act 1996 (OLPA) aims to reduce the use of ozone-depleting substances. Because New Zealand does not produce these substances, we use a system of import controls to meet our international obligations in reducing use of, and limiting access to, certain products containing these substances.

You need to apply for an exemption or permit from us before you can import ozone-depleting substances such as methyl bromide, halons or hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs). The amount that can be imported annually is periodically reduced to meet New Zealand's obligations under the Montreal Protocol.

Importing hydrofluorocarbons

If you are shipping hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), the rules have changed, and you will need to apply for a permit to import and export HFCs.

Find out more about importing and exporting hydrofluorocarbon gases (HFCs)

Importing or exporting ozone-depleting substances

If you are importing or exporting an ozone depleting substance you need to apply for a permit or exemption.


Some refrigerants that are ozone depleting are prohibited, or being phased out. Read more about refrigerants and alternative refrigerants.

Proper disposal of ozone depleting substances

Common household appliances can contain refrigerants that damage the environment. Because of this, it’s illegal to release refrigerants into the atmosphere.