If you are unsure whether your substance is hazardous or is covered by an existing approval, you can apply for a formal determination.
Anyone can ask us to make a formal (statutory) determination for a substance. (This is sometimes called a 'section 26 determination' because Section 26 of the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms (HSNO) Act 1996 allows us to do this.)
In this sort of determination, we may confirm one or more of the following:
- whether or not the substance is hazardous
- the hazard classification of the substance
- whether any approvals apply to the substance.
We record all determinations in our HSNO Applications Register.
Apply for a formal determination of the hazardous status of a substance
Complete the application form at the end of this page, include any confidential information in the Confidential Appendix, and send your application to us either:
- by email to HSapplications@epa.govt.nz
- by post to HS Applications, Environmental Protection Authority, Private Bag 63002, Wellington 6140, New Zealand.