Section 26 formal determination

If you are unsure whether your substance is hazardous or is covered by an existing approval you can apply for a formal determination.

Anyone can ask the EPA to make a formal (statutory) determination for a substance.

In a section 26 determination the EPA may determine one or more of the following:

  • whether or not the substance is hazardous
  • the hazard classification of the substance
  • whether any approvals apply to the substance.

The determination is recorded on our HSNO Applications Register.

To apply for a formal determination, complete the Section 26 Determination application form and send it to us.