Making an application

Whether you are importing, moving or using a new hazardous substance, you will need to go through an application process. We can guide you through this.

Applying for a reassessment or amendment

Anyone can apply to have a substance reassessed or amend an approval. There are a number of different ways to go about this, depending on the situation.

Release approvals

If you are importing or manufacturing a pesticide, veterinary medicine, or other hazardous substance for use in New Zealand, you will need to apply for a releas...

Containment approvals

If you are importing or manufacturing a hazardous substance in containment in New Zealand, you need a containment approval.

Transhipment approval for hazardous substances in transit through New Zealand

If you plan to bring a hazardous substance into New Zealand temporarily, you may need to apply for a transhipment approval before it can enter the country. Find...

Asbestos-containing products

Products with asbestos can only be imported into New Zealand under certain circumstances.

Explosives Import Certificate

To import most explosives into New Zealand, you must apply for an import certificate.

Graphic materials

Approval for the importation and manufacture of children's graphic materials is given under a Group Standard.

Emergency approvals

In an emergency you may need to use a substance in a way that is not approved. You can apply for an emergency approval to do so.


Some approved substances require a permission before you can use them. Find out which substances require a permission and how to apply.

Section 26 formal determination

If you are unsure whether your substance is hazardous or is covered by an existing approval you can apply for a formal determination.

Vertebrate toxic agent notifications

Any changes to the formulation or use of Vertebrate Toxic Agents (VTAs) are required to be notified to the EPA. This page tells you how to do this.

The steps for an application

The procedure for processing an application varies depending on the application type. Read more about what these steps are.