Importing hazardous waste

To import hazardous waste into New Zealand, you need a permit. Find out how to apply.

Without the right permit, your shipment of hazardous waste could be refused entry or seized en route, or when it arrives in New Zealand. This could cost you time and money.

Find out which types of waste are considered hazardous waste

Apply for a hazardous waste import permit

You can only import hazardous waste from countries that are members of the OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development), or are a party to the Basel Convention or Waigani Convention.

To apply for an import permit, allow plenty of time - we cannot process your import permit application until we hear from the Competent Authority in the country you are exporting from.

Please read our guide below for more detail, including a checklist of the supporting information that you must provide and more information about the application assessment process.

Importing hazardous waste into New Zealand (PDF, 201 KB)

Your permit application must include a fully-completed application form, and all of the requested supporting information. We cannot assess any application until we have all of the legally-required information.

Download the Import Hazardous Waste application form (DOCX, 90KB)

Note: If you are planning to apply for a permit to import waste containing persistent organic pollutants (POPs) into New Zealand, please be aware that you will need an additional approval from us for these materials. Please contact us for more information about this.

Send your application via email to Put ‘Hazardous waste import application’ in the subject line.

Or send your application to:

Hazardous Substance Applications team
Environmental Protection Authority
Private Bag 63002
Wellington 6140

After the import

Follow the conditions on your permit. If you don’t follow these conditions, we could revoke your permit, meaning your shipment could be seized or refused entry at the destination New Zealand port.

Ensure that completed copies of the Basel Convention Movement form are emailed to us:

  1. when the shipment leaves the country of origin/exporting country
  2. when the shipment of waste is processed

Download a copy of the Basel Convention Movement form (DOC, 144KB)

Hazardous waste in transit through New Zealand

If you plan to transit hazardous waste through New Zealand, please contact us to discuss your plans.

By phone (within New Zealand) on 0800 CALL EPA (0800 2255 372)
By email at