Exporting hazardous waste

To export hazardous waste out of New Zealand, you need a permit. Find out how to apply.

Without the right permit, your shipment could be seized at a New Zealand port or may be refused entry en route, or at the destination. This would cost you time and money.

To find out which types of waste are considered hazardous waste

Apply for a permit Plus

To apply for a permit to export hazardous waste, you must complete our application form, the internationally-required notification form, and supply all of the requested supporting information.

Allow plenty of time – it takes 30-80 working days to process export permits for hazardous waste. Please read our guide below for more detail, including a checklist of the supporting information that you must provide and more information about the application assessment process.

Send your application to importexport@epa.govt.nz with ‘Hazardous waste export application’ in the subject line. We cannot assess any application until we have all of the legally-required information. Alternatively, you can send a paper copy of your application to: Hazardous Waste Applications, Environmental Protection Authority, PO Box 63002, Wellington 6140, New Zealand.

See our guide: Exporting Hazardous Waste from New Zealand (pdf 201KB)

Download the Export Hazardous Waste application form (docx 90KB)

Download the Basel Convention notification form (doc 140KB)

Download the Basel Convention movement form (doc 144KB)


After the export Plus

A condition of every export permit issued is that you must complete a Basel Convention Movement form twice and send it to us, the EPA:

  • first, prior to shipment
  • and again, once the hazardous waste reaches the destination facility and the waste recycling/disposal is completed. 

This form is required under the Basel and Waigani Conventions, and the OECD agreements, for shipping hazardous waste. A copy should also be included in the documentation accompanying the shipment.