Hazardous substances

All hazardous substances need approval for use in Aotearoa New Zealand. Is yours approved? Find out, apply for approval, or get advice on using it safely.

Hazardous substances and the EPA

What do toothpaste, explosives, veterinary medicine and solvents have in common? They are all classified as hazardous substances, which we regulate.

Amendments to the HSNO Act

The HSNO (Hazardous Substances Assessments) Amendment Act, which came into force on 1 November 2022, will improve the process for assessing hazardous substances…

New Zealand’s hazard classification system

New Zealand has implemented a new classification system for hazardous substances based on the seventh revised edition of the Globally Harmonised System (GHS 7).

Rules for hazardous substances

We put rules in place, called controls, to manage the risks of hazardous substances and to safeguard people and the environment.

Guidance for importers and manufacturers

There is specific guidance for importing, manufacturing and using every type of hazardous substance in New Zealand–from cosmetics to pesticides or explosives.

Importing or manufacturing hazardous substances in New Zealand

Before you can import a hazardous substance into New Zealand, or manufacture it here, there is a process to follow and steps to complete.

Applying for hazardous substance approvals

You need to get approval if you are importing, moving, or using a new hazardous substance. We can guide you through the application process, and give you advice…

Chemical reassessment programme

Our chemical reassessment programme reviews hazardous substances that are approved for use in New Zealand.

Group standards

Group standards are approvals for a group of hazardous substances of a similar nature, type or use.

Shipping hazardous waste

New Zealand belongs to several international environmental agreements covering the import and export of hazardous waste.

Shipping and disposing of ozone-depleting substances

To protect the Earth’s ozone layer, there are rules for shipping and disposing of ozone-depleting liquids and gases in New Zealand. Find out what you need to do…

Importing and exporting hydrofluorocarbon gases (HFCs)

If you plan to import or export bulk HFC gases into or out of New Zealand, you must apply for a permit. Find out more here.

Evaluation of hazardous substances compliance system

An independent Technical Working Group evaluated the hazardous substances compliance system in New Zealand.

UN numbers

A UN number is a four-digit number that identifies dangerous goods such as explosives, flammable liquids, oxidizers, and some acutely toxic substances.