Operators wanting to drill for oil and gas in New Zealand waters must first get the following approvals:
- An exploration or mining permit from NZP&M
- Marine consents from the EPA (for drilling in the Exclusive Economic Zone and Continental Shelf) and/or a resource consent from a regional council (for drilling in Territorial waters)
- Marine discharge consents from the EPA for the release of harmful substances into the waters of the Exclusive Economic Zone and the waters above the Continental Shelf
- Approval of an Emergency Spill Response Plan from the EPA for harmful substances spills
- Approval of a safety case by WorkSafe NZ
- Approval of OSCP from MNZ for oil spills.
Steps to gaining approval to drill offshore