East West Link proposal
What is the East West Link roading proposal?
The proposal consists of notices and requirement for designations and resource consent applications by the New Zealand Transport Authority (NZTA) for the construction, operation and maintenance of a new arterial road linking State Highways 1 and 20, including coastal reclamation of the Mangere Inlet.
You can view the application on the NZTA website.
Why is the East West Link considered to be an NSP?
The application by NZTA was assessed against specific criteria to determine whether it is a proposal of national significance. It has been jointly directed by the Minister for the Environment and the Minister of Conservations to be of national significance and referred to an independent Board of Inquiry (BOI) because it:
- has aroused widespread public concern or interest regarding its actual or likely effect on the environment, including the global environment
- involves or is likely to involve significant use of natural and physical resources
- affects or is likely to affect a structure, feature, place, or area of national significance
- results or is likely to result in or contribute to significant or irreversible changes to the environment, including the global environment
- is or is likely to be significant in terms of the Treaty of Waitangi
- will assist the Government in fulfilling its public health, welfare, security, or safety obligations or functions
- affects or is likely to affect more than one region or district
Is the proposal a ‘done deal’?
The Minister of the Environment and the Minister for Conservation jointly directed that the East West Link is a proposal of national significance and referred it to an independent BOI.
The BOI will base its decision on the merits of the proposal and in accordance with the RMA decision making process. They will consider all the evidence and public submissions presented to it as part of the process.
The BOI’s decision on whether to approve the application is made independent of both the EPA and the Government.
Can I make a submission?
Yes. The application is likely to be publically notified in mid to late February 2017.