ContactUs List of access keys Home Site Map Privacy FAQs Disclaimer Skip to main content
Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Print Phis Page

Importing and manufacturing hazardous substances

All hazardous substances that are imported or manufactured in New Zealand require EPA approval.

Choose from one of the categories below for more information on how to make an application for an approval.

If you’re planning to submit an application or proposal to the EPA, you may need to engage with Māori groups whose interests could be affected by the application.

Workplace products

Process chemicals, solvents, paints, adhesives and cleaners.

Household products

Detergents, cleaners and soap powders.


Make-up, toiletries, sunscreens, oral and personal care products.

1080 - Sodium fluoroacetate

Tighter controls on high purity forms of sodium fluoroacetate (1080) have been introduced in response to the criminal threat to use 1080 to contaminate infant and other formula.


Agrichemicals, timber treatments, vertebrate toxic agents and anti-fouling paints.

Veterinary medicines

Medicines used in the direct management of an animal.

Laboratory chemicals

Chemicals and substances used in the laboratory.


Fireworks, pyrotechnics, detonators, blasting explosives, gunpowder.

Find a document