ContactUs List of access keys Home Site Map Privacy FAQs Disclaimer Skip to main content
Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Print Phis Page

The Exclusive Economic Zone and Continental Shelf

New Zealand has one of the largest exclusive economic zones in the world. It is an area of ocean 20 times the size of our land mass. The EPA is responsible for managing the effects of specified restricted activities in the Exclusive Economic Zone and the Continental Shelf.

About the EEZ
EEZ map. Used with permission of Land Information New Zealand.

Browse the EEZ and Continental Shelf section...


OMV (Maari)

OMV New Zealand Ltd is seeking a marine consent to complete its Maari field drilling programme in the South Taranaki Bight.

Chatham Rock Phosphate

Chatham Rock Phosphate

Chatham Rock Phosphate Ltd is seeking marine consent for its phosphate mining project on the Chatham Rise.


Trans-Tasman Resources

Trans-Tasman Resources Ltd is proposing to undertake an iron sand mining project in the South Taranaki Bight. Read more about the application.

EEZ activities

Applications for EEZ activities

Read about applications for restricted activities within the EEZ.

Reports on permitted activities

Read about activities that are currently permitted to occur in the the EEZ.

EEZ map, used with permission of Land Information New Zealand.

About the EEZ

About the EEZ Act, types of activity it controls, permitted activities, the EPA's role, other marine management regimes in the EEZ.

Map of New Zealand's territorial waters.

Who does what in NZ's offshore waters

Learn how government agencies and regional councils manage oil, gas and mineral exploration and production in NZ waters.

Man in protective safety gear working on a rig.

Working in the EEZ and Continental Shelf

Marine consents, permitted activities and transitional provisions. Existing Māori and other interests. Other legislation and agencies.

The multicore ‘spider’ is being hauled in through the starboard cutaway by the deck crew. NIWA - Owen Anderson.

Sticking to the rules

Rules for operating in the EEZ, permitted activities, marine consent, transitional provisions, EPA contact details.

Image of people putting their hands up - hands raised in the air.

Having your say about activity in the EEZ

Any person can make a written submission on a publicly notified application for a marine consent.

Events and updates

Upcoming EEZ events and activities.

Find a document

I want to...

--- Please select ---
Please select
Apply for a controlled substance licence
Make a submission on HSNO applications
Find out about approved handlers
Make a submission on a proposal of national significance
Find out about current NSP applications
Find out about applying to the NSP group
Find out about approved fillers
Comment on this website
Find out about new organism applications
Find out about hazardous substance applications
Apply for a vacancy
Find out about test certifiers
Find out about controlled substance licences
Find a group standard
See the fees for HS and NO applications